Our curriculum complies fully with the ACGME requirements for graduate medical education in congenital heart disease and is specifically tailored to meet the individual educational interests of the trainee.
The clinical experience includes:
- At least 9 months covering a busy inpatient and consultative ACHD service
- At least 1 cumulative month of intensive care of critically ill and post-surgical ACHD patients in the cardiac and cardiothoracic intensive care units
- At least 3 months of comprehensive diagnostic imaging (transthoracic and transesophageal echocardiography, computed tomography, and cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging)
- At least 2 months of ACHD catheterization at the adult and pediatric hospitals
- For fellows entering with specialty training in adult cardiovascular disease:
- At least 3 months of pediatric and/or transition cardiology
- For fellows entering with specialty training in pediatric cardiology disease:
- At least 3 months of adult cardiology
- At least 3 months of internal medicine (if did not train in combined internal medicine – pediatric residency program)
- Continuity ambulatory clinic attended throughout the fellowship training program
- The training experience during the remaining months is tailored to the specific interests and career goals of the trainee.
- Prior fellow training focuses have included:
- Clinical research investigation
- Advanced echocardiography
- Obstetric cardiology and congenital heart disease-associated pulmonary hypertension
- Congenital interventional cardiology
- Cardiovascular magnetic resonance
The research experience includes:
- At least 6 months of dedicated time to participate in research or other scholarly activities.